Welcome to my Kindergarten...where we are growing and learning and blooming everyday!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Fairy Tale Story Mapping

Last week we began a Language Arts unit on Fairy Tales. After all the years that I have taught Kindergarten, I have never purposely created a unit for Fairy Tales. I have read them but not discuss them in depth.

I love it and so do the children. I began with The Three Little Pigs. First, we talked about the storyline which they all know. Then, using a link titled Speakaboos.com we watched a version of this beloved tale. Last, we created the story map (see below). I did look at all the great ideas on Pinterest and settled on this version.

Keeping the main ideas and comprehension in the forefront, I applied the use of Post-It Notes. It is a wonderful interactive process that I want to encourage any teacher to try.

Give a student a Post-It and they draw on it. They love seeing their work go up on the chart. We are into the first week of Spring and this is very age appropriate and it is great for their comprehension.

Next we tackled Little Red Riding Hood. See the story map below. This week we will create a Venn Diagram.

Following Easter Break, we will take a look at and map Rapunzel and The Princess and The Pea.




1 comment:

  1. Great idea! How did you decide who got to draw the pictures for the different categories? Did you let every student draw something for each category and then pick the best, or did you assign individual students to particular categories?

    ReplyDelete