Welcome to my Kindergarten...where we are growing and learning and blooming everyday!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Our Garden ~ Planting A Rainbow

I am lucky to teach at a school that has garden plots designated for classroom gardening with the children. I have had the same small plot for about 12 years. It started out hard and rocky but it is now so cute and manageable.

This week we are planting. I used Planting A Rainbow by Lois Ehlert as our inspiration this year. We just left St. Patrick's Day and rainbows so it seemed just right for this Spring.

A letter went home to families asking for a small 6 pack of plants in the rainbow colors ~ one color per student. If a student was assigned the color green, then they were asked to bring in an herb.

It takes about 3 trips to the garden for 30 - 45 minutes. Arranging time in the day is difficult but worth it. I ask for parent volunteers to help. Some parents love to help. This year a dad helped us. Students love to plant their own plants. We found several worms and look at the roots abs water the plants. Kids love to garden!

All the gardens need to be ready on the same night the Middle School performs the Spring play.

Here are some pictures:

1 comment:

  1. We have a garden too! My kiddos love making the newspaper pots to plant directly into the garden. The LOVE when we add the worms!

    I am a new follower to your blog and would love for you to come visit me. I will be starting to post lots of our plant *freebies*! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete