Welcome to my Kindergarten...where we are growing and learning and blooming everyday!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How to Catch a Leprechaun

We are back from Spring Break and trying to adjust to Daylight Savings this week. In class we are jumping right into St. Patrick's Day and my "How To" Unit. This coincides with our Writer's Workshop theme for the month.

The class has been assigned a family project at home to create a Leprechaun Trap. On my school website, I posted a link for the parents to get "inspiration". I love all holidays and especially this one ~ maybe because it only lasts a week?!

Here is the link I used:
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/to-catch-a-leprechaun-710897/

The traps are due on Friday, March 16th. We will celebrate on Friday. I can't wait to see them. Each student will be expected to tell at least 3 steps on How To Catch a Leprechaun. Below is a copy of the student paper.

Meanwhile back in class we are working on verbally expressing "how to" tell Mrs. Hurlburt to write the letter of the week. This is always good for a laugh ~ be specific and give details!

On Tuesday we watched a You Tube video on How to Wash Your Hands.

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-wash-your-hands/

After watching many, I chose this because it had a nurse and it seemed official.

Then a few students retold the steps. Finally, they wrote in their journal and drew a picture. I added Post it Notes to their journal paper. I thought this would help with the idea of using "steps".

I like reading the book How To Build a Home by Maria Fleming to further help teach a step by step process.

I was pleased with the process today.
Mrs. H

No comments:

Post a Comment