Welcome to my Kindergarten...where we are growing and learning and blooming everyday!

Friday, March 23, 2012

Building with Wooden Blocks

A few years ago I restructured my building center by separating my wooden blocks to be entirely by themselves. I love it and I refer to it fondly to my family as my "Engineering 101" center.

I encourage all teachers to do this. Think of it as "Back to Basics with Blocks". There is a lot that happens in this center which has 2 partners for the school day.

Here are some of the skills a teacher may see:

Planning
Organization
Balancing
Cooperation
Vocabulary
Communication
Negotiation
Imagination
Trial and Error
Symmetry

So there is language and math and social skills happening all at the same time. Both boys and girls love this center.

Here is the structure built today. It is a Chocolate Factory!

No comments:

Post a Comment